Useful Information

Letting demands careful planning and whether you are an experienced property investor or a first time landlord, we understand that the stresses of renting out a property can be off-putting.   However, H&H King can help guide you through the entire process whilst looking after your interests and at the same time ensuring your role as the landlord is as stress free as possible.

We have included some useful A-Z information below, to get you started.

In most cases, a deposit equivalent to one month’s rent will be taken at the beginning of the tenancy.  All deposits for tenancy agreements commencing on or after 6th April 2007 are required by law to be held in a protected scheme.  H&H Land & Esates, formerly known as H&H King, complies by being a member of the Deposit Protection Service and My Deposits (both government custodial schemes) as well as the Dispute Service (TDS).

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
All rental properties are required to have a valid EPC which is the landlord’s responsibility to arrange; we can arrange an EPC on behalf of a landlord although there will be a charge for this service.

Fire Regulations
We recommend that all properties are supplied with a minimum of two smoke detectors.

Furniture and Inventories
It is the responsibility of the landlord to compile an inventory of the contents within the property.  Landlords must ensure that any furniture complies with the regulations governing ‘fire and furnishings’.  Sofas, mattresses, chairs etc should bear the label which states that they comply with the Fire Safety Regulations 1988 and beyond.

Gas Regulations
All properties with mains or tanked gas central heating systems of equipment, require by law, an annual safety certificate from from a Gas Safe Registered plumber.  We recommend that all properties are supplied with at least one carbon monoxide detector.

House Clearance
If you are looking to dispose of unwanted but pristine household items, our sister company H&H Auction Rooms holds weekly Monday antiques and home furnishing sales at their Auction Centre in Rosehill, Carlisle, together with a full house clearance service.  In addition, if you require a free pre-sale valuation, contact Valuer and Auctioneer, Stephen Farthing on 01228 406320.

The maintenance of the main structure of the building along with any fixtures and fittings supplied with the property will be the responsibility of the landlord.

A landlord must ensure that they have the necessary permission from their mortgage company to let the property.  Also, some leasehold companies require written notification of your intention to let.a Gas Safe Registered plumber.  We recommend that all properties are supplied with at least one carbon monoxide detector.

Prospective tenant will be referenced using Van Mildert who will perform a basic credit search and also confirm residency and employment.

Tenancy Agreement
The Agreement used for all of our properties is an “assured shorthold agreement”, normally on an initial six month term.

The relevant utilities, including council tax, are the responsibility of the landlord whilst the property is vacant.